Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Will Never Forget...9-11-01

I can't believe it's been ten years and I can't believe how fresh it is still in my mind. Normally it takes me awhile to remember stuff that happened two weeks ago but I do remember the morning of September 11.

I was 21 years old and a student at University of Akron. I remember being in the shower. At the moment the only thing on my mind was my assignment for my communication class. Did I need to go over the reading one more time? Maybe I should check my work again before turning it in. I wondered if I should have done more research on my newswriting assignment. It was a typical morning before classes.

The radio all of a sudden brought me out of it. I stopped midway of rinsing my hair of conditioner when they said a plane hit. I thought, what? How? All those questions running through my head. As soon as I could. I got out of the shower and checked with my roommate. We turned on the news and just watched it. I had to get ready for class and luckily I still made it with being so involved in the news.

When I got to class a little bit later, I remember walking in and everyone had a look of shock on their faces. My professor who was from New York City cancelled class the moment he walked into the door.

By noon, the school cancelled classes and we all gathered around the TV. I remember my ROTC friends waiting to see if they would be called to duty.

I even remember gathering with students and lighting candles.

I didn't know anyone who was killed but my heart went out to them and their families. To this day, my prayers are still with them.

What about you? What do you remember? Were you affected?

I saw this Budweiser commercial and most commercials make me tear up but watching the horses, I definitely got teared up.


No comments:

Post a Comment